Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glen Aulin start July 19 loop

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby tm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:26 pm

This will be my 4th year backpacking in Yosemite. This year I would like to start at the Glen Aulin pass through trailhead to Cold Canyon – then on the PCT North into Matterhorn Canyon- up that dog leg into the Hoover Wilderness around Peeler Lake – South past Benson Lake into Rodgers Meadow and then pick up the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne at Pate Valley and head East back to the starting point. I have always backpacked in late August.
I would like to know what general weather, water and mosquito conditions will be on this route from July 19th through July 31st. Has anyone done this trip and did they enjoy it? The last 3 trips have been through the areas South and East of Tuolumne.
Thank you in advance for your input.
tm
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Weather should be fine. SO far there is a lot of snow this year, but the next couple of months may or may not change that a lot. And in mid-July you may get some mosquitoes as well.

Bear in mind that some of the GCT was burned last year in a big fire---may not be as scenic for a while...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby LVRAY » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:43 pm

The inner canyon was not burned by the fire. Pate Valley back up to Glen Aulin will still be beautiful.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby tm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.
tm
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 am

You'll love it. 13 days for 80 miles. Wow. You should have
loads of play time.

I wouldn't worry about too much that time of year. Maybe some bugs.
Don't skip Rodgers Lake. If anything give Murdoch a miss and
go to Smedberg and Rodgers. The point above Murdoch is the
only reason I'd go that way again probably ... great overlook
of Benson.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:28 pm

I recommend hiking into Young Lakes instead of Glen Aulin. It a pretty easy xcountry down into Cold Canyon, and you can check out Roosevelt as well. It is possible to cut over to either of the McCabe Lakes from Roosevelt, and Mt. Conness is the most majestic buttress of the North side peaks.

It is possible to go up Spiller Canyon as well, though the "pass" is nearly the top of the Matterhorn, and the walk up is steep gravely sand.

I consider the tarn below Finger Peaks to be the finest campsite on the north side, with a panoramic view of the Sawtooth Ridge and the Matterhorn that glows with vibrant color at sunset.

There will be swarms of mosquitoes. Any type of oil (olive, mineral, skin so soft, etc.) works as a repellant, if you don't mind being greasy. They land, tap the probiscus, the clean it, tap again, repeat, without ever biting. I mostly try to keep covered and avoid the chemicals.

Down Piute Creek to Benson is doable, but requires significant xcountry skills, especially route finding.

Rock Island Lake is also a beatiful xcountry that is pretty easy. I haven't hiked down to Benson from there, so if you decide to check it out you might need to cut back to the trail in Kerrick Canyon.

I wouldn't bother with Peeler on this trip. A pretty lake, but it gets a considerable amount of traffic from Twin Lakes, and might be crowded. After already hiking for so many days, you might as well enjoy the solitude of the back back country.

Pate Valley is a bit muddy that time of year, expect to cut up the canyon a little ways before camping in a better location near the river where the rapids are.

From what I understand, the fire that closed that section last year burnt above that section, so the trail sould be reasonable. Definately check with the rangers about that one.

Have fun! Maybe I'll see you on the trail.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 am

Was originally gonna say to nix Peeler but ... so much time...
Might as well IMO.
The pools near Crown are incredible sights and if you go
Snow then you miss out on Kerrick Meadows.

My advice is pretty much if you haven't been... do the trails first.
And come back for more later... and again... and again... and again..
Eventually the trail becomes a rut you seem stuck in and the
real fun is going xcountry wherever u want.

Have fun. You'll love it.

Head up Volunteer if you're game. Still my Fav. Peak in the park to go up.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking