Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best early season trip?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best early season trip?

Postby holz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am

Hi folks,

I have a British friend that will be visiting the area in mid-May of this year. He has never been backpacking before, but does "walks" (we'd call it day hiking) regularly and is quite keen to give backpacking a try.

Given the time of year, there are some things that simply aren't possible, so I'm appealing to the wealth of knowledge that is this community for help.

So, I'm looking for a hike that need not be super simple, but one that is reasonable for a first timer. Say 4 - 8 miles with 2k - 4k total elevation change. Ideally we'd get to a spot where we could spend a day exploring and then hike out on day 3.

Suggestions? Note that I'd take suggestions anywhere in the Sierras although Yosemite would be my first choice all other things being equal.

Thank you all in advance!
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I have a section on my website about early season hikes...

Here's what I wrote:

Early Season Hikes

Rancheria Falls—leaving from Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite, this is a 6.5 mile hike along the edge of the reservoir, and it never gets above about 6,000 feet. So when the snow level starts to rise, this is a popular hike early in the season. We’ve done it in mid-April, when the peaks across the canyon were covered in snow, and the canyon walls were alive with cascades of every size and description. Later in the summer the falls are also a fun waterpark—as you can slide down slick granite slabs, and sit in foamy pools. From the campground here, you can also make a nice day hike to the top of LeConte Point, which gives superb views of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and the peaks of the Sierra crest. 6.5 miles each way.

Clark Fork, Carson-Iceberg Wilderness: This hike leaves from the Clark Fork trailhead off Highway 108 east of Pinecrest. You hike through some lovely forest, clamber across a stream, and then face a short but steep climb to the top of a stunning waterfall. Head upstream for a series of nice campsites on the Clark Fork of the river. This was our first pack trip together, so it has some fond memories for us. There are some nice brookies in the river, and you can day hike further up the river—all the way to St. Mary’s Pass, if you want to work long and hard. We were the only people in the valley here for two days: just us and the local cows on the range. Five miles each way.

Bear Lake, Emigrant Wilderness: Once the road is open to Crabtree Cabin, this trail should be open for backpackers. It’s about four miles to the lake, and you pass lovely Camp Lake on the way. There’s a bit of climbing on the trail, but just when you are ready to take a nice rest, you find yourself at the top. Bear Lake is lovely, and you can extend the trip for another day by doing some cross country hiking to Granite Lake. In late May of 2009, Bear Lake had just a bit of snow on the banks, while Granite Lake, 500 feet higher, was completely frozen over.
Don’t miss the excellent view near the junction at the top of the ridge. Follow the trail to Grouse Lake for 100 yards, and the ridge opens up on a volcanic slope that overlooks the huge Cherry Creek drainage to the southeast. It’s a great place to stop for a drink and a snack. Less than five miles each way.

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home/d ... ason-hikes
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking