Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

RT HIke to Indian Rock from Mirror Lake?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

RT HIke to Indian Rock from Mirror Lake?

Postby Enzian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi---I'm brand new to this forum, but not to Yosemite. We usually spend a week in August camping in Tuolumne and dayhiking. This time we are taking some first-timers who have never seen Yosemite, so we'll be spending a few days in the Valley as well. I'd like to do an "off the beaten path" hike that is less crowded than the standards. We'll probably also do the Glacier Point loop (up the Four-Mile and dowwn the Panorama) on another day.

Looking at maps, it seems we could start at Mirrow Lake and go up the Snow Creek trail to connect to the trail up Indian Rock. I've never seen the arch, and I'm also thinking there might be good views of the face of Cloud's Rest along the way. Mainly we would be looking for a nice strenuous hike with a bit of solitude and not too much exposure. (One among us is a very strong hiker but height-averse; he can't walk along cliffs and had a hard time at the Grand Canyon). .

None of my hiking books mention this hike; they only discuss Tenaya Lake to Mirror Lake as a "top down" hike as tho' no one wants to hike uphill. We ar happier hiking up and like hikes with 3000 to 4000 feet of gain. In this case we'd have to hike back down too, so I'm wondering how far it is round trip? I can kind of guess at the mileage from my map, and it looks to be about 14 miles or so?

Thanks for you r help. I'll post a separate question regarding the Four Mile Trail.
Enzian

Hike to Indian Arch from Mirror Lake

Postby dan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 pm

To get to Indian Arch or Delicate Arch (I haven't heard it called Indian Rock myself), take the Snow Creek Trail up from Mirror Lake. Snow Creek Trail is an old-fashioned trail with hundreds of very short switchbacks (now switchbacks are much longer and wider sweeping). Head to North Dome and enjoy the up-close view of Half Dome. From North Dome, follow the trail that heads north up a ridge from North Dome. Near the top, before the trail starts to head down, you'll see an arch along the ridge top.

I've only hiked (or skied) to Tenaya Lake (or North Dome) from the Top. I think Indian Arch is reasonable. Tenaya Lake--I'm not so sure about doing it up and back in one day. Bring a flashlight.

The Four Mile Trail/Panorama trail question has been asked before--click on "Search" below the words "Yosemite Forum". Ask again if it's not answered below:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtop ... mile+trail
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtop ... mile+trail
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: RT HIke to Indian Rock from Mirror Lake?

Postby Wickett » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 am

Enzian wrote: Mainly we would be looking for a nice strenuous hike with a bit of solitude and not too much exposure. (One among us is a very strong hiker but height-averse; he can't walk along cliffs and had a hard time at the Grand Canyon)

There are parts of the Snow Creek trail that are exposed, both to the sun and to drop offs. Excellent views of Half Dome and Mirror Lake, also of the recent rockslide that blocked part of the Mirror Lake trail. I think that it would be manageable if they did part of the descent into Grand Canyon though, just keep their attention focused up, its not that hard since that is the way you will be going. You could head down the Yosemite Falls trail, you are surrounded by brush more than on the Snow Creek trail and your eye is drawn towards the other side of the Valley.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 am

IMO there is little to no exposure on the Snow Creek Trail.
Indian Rock proper is about a couple hundred feet elevation
north of the natural arch.
If you are going in August all the trails out of the valley will
not be off the beaten path.
From Mirror Lake to Camp4 is about 16 miles with a trip to North Dome.
You may not see many people (it's prob. the least used of the
maintained major trails out of the valley) on Snow Crk. but once
you get near North Dome I'd expect to see a fair number.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Enzian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks!

So Mirror Lake up and past North Dome and down to Camp 4 is 16 miles? We could do that, but if we want a shorter hike, any idea how far it would be just to the arch and back down the same trail to Mirror Lake?

I've actually been up the Snow Creek trail (in winter), but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about it. Short switchbacks sound fine; it's long vertical drops that bother our friend. We hiked all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon that time, so he can do it; just not happily.

I guess we could always turn around if it starts to trouble him.
Enzian

Postby jpcal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Yeah that trail is very quite. I went with a group of 7 last August and we saw maybe 15 people on the entire trip. Most were backpackers, we just did a day hike down to North Dome and a stop at Indian Rock on the way back.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby ryanmj » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Enzian wrote:Thanks!

So Mirror Lake up and past North Dome and down to Camp 4 is 16 miles? We could do that, but if we want a shorter hike, any idea how far it would be just to the arch and back down the same trail to Mirror Lake?

did that hike last summer and it was 18+ miles assuming you mean across the top from north dome and down yosemite falls trail. Its about 8.5 miles from mirror lake to north dome and the arch is about 1.5 -2 miles from the end so up and back your looking at 12-14 miles. If your friend has a bad fear of heights north dome isnt very extreme except a small portion of the trail is along a ledge with about a 100'drop and if you went the yosemite falls trail ther are a few parts of the trail that come pretty close to the edge. I think i have pictures of both places, PM me if you want to see them.

Also you can drive up top and hike in to the arches from the road it would be about 2 - 2.5 miles each way.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Enzian » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Thansk for the help. Yes, I know we could hike in from the Tioga Road and it would be shorter--we may do that later in the week when we are at Tuolumne, and go up North Dome (our acrophobic friend won't be with us at that point).

But for a hike from the Valley, I'm just looking for something less crowded than the JMT, Mist Trail, Yosemite Falls, etc. (If such a thing exists). If it's 12 -14 miles to the arch and back, with around 3000 feet or so of gain and loss, that would be perfect.
Enzian

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 am

It's about 16 miles RT from where u can get dropped off by the bus.
4400 ft. elevation gain.

Don't stop at the arch and go back though. At least go down
Indian Ridge a bit for some great views.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking