Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First trip of 2010

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First trip of 2010

Postby balzaccom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

So this weekend was a three-day weekend, and we decided that we had spent enough time at home. It was time to get out into the woods.

The only problem was that our favorite haunts were covered with many feet of snow, and we have yet to contract the snow-camping bug. So we looked for something warmer, along the coast. After a lot of research, phone calls, and even a trip to a couple of stores, we decided on the Los Padres National Forest, south of Monterey. We bought the maps, charted our route, and then, at the last minute, decided to go to Henry Coe State Park instead.

Why? It's a shorter drive for us, and and we'd always wanted to see the park. And once P called the ranger station, and got a great recommendation for a trip, the die was cast.

Sunday morning we drove down to the park, and watched the fog disappear as we drove. By the time we got to the entrance, it was sunny and even a bit warm. And as we climbed up out of the canyon into the park, it got positively steamy. whew!

For those of us accustomed to the High Sierra, this trip was different in many ways:

The elevation was lower, so while we were sweating up a storm, we weren't breathing so hard---and our recovery time was a lot shorter.,

The humidity was a lot higher, so while we were sweating up a storm, it just dripped down our faces and covered our bodies. ugh.

The trails in this park have their own unique logic: most of them follow old ranch roads, so they tend to follow the tops of the hills and ridges. If they ran along the side of a hill, the old trucks would have rolled over sideways. So they go straight up and straight down--rather than going around. Steep grades, sometimes only to lead to an equally steep grade on the other side, going down. Up and down, over and over. oof. The trail we took had about 2500 feet of climbing in five miles, and we counted a total of two switchbacks. Why go around when you can go straight over the top? We know why.

Did we mention the humidity? Daytime temperatures were in the high 60's so it was hot, going uphill in the sun. Evening temps dropped quickly into the 40's---and eveything was covered with dew. Everything--even in the inside of our tent. Luckily, it didn't drip on us all night---just soaked whatever touched the inside of the tent.

Finally, we have to talk about those short days. One of our concerns about snowcamping is that we would have to spend a lot of time sitting in the dark in the cold. Night came at 6 p.m., and we finished our dinner by headlamp. A quick cleaning up, and then we looked at the stars until our clothes started getting wet from the dew. By 7:30 we were in the tent, reading. By 8:30 it was lights out---and we were only mildly concerned that we might wake up at 5, unable to sleep longer.

Dream on, literally. We slept until 6:30 or 7, in our cozy new down bags. And by the time we made breakfast and broke camp, it was almost 9 a.m., and the sun was out, drying things quickly (except for the tent, which was in our pack by then!).

Still, 10 hours of sleep?

Felt lovely.

here's a link to the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/H ... StatePark#
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:58 am

People either seem to love or hate Coe. I just love Coe.
I think Coe is just beautiful. One of our first backpack trips in Coe
was during xmas time many years ago. We went from headquarters to
Kelly Lake. We were there maybe 10 minutes and two guys with
bikes come screaming in.. and we go "wha!?". Didn't even realize
the Hunting Hollow entrance existed at that time.
Just went there 3 weeks ago ... we went down to China Hole.. and beyond..
some guys actually carried their kayaks down to Poverty Flat since
the river was screaming after the rains. Pretty cool.
Anyway, been on nearly all the trails in Coe if you have any questions.
The salamander is a California Newt.

You really need to do snow camping. It's just so beautiful and
serene and clean!
Here's last weekend:
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks Bill. So what DO you do when you are snow camping and the sun goes down at 6 p.m.?

ANd make it good--my wife needs some convincing! grin
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I agree, after October, that's just too much time in a tent waiting for the sun. Even the bears hibernate.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Count me in as another Coe fan - I have a group going this March. It's a great early season destination.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 pm

For me the fall and winter are just too beautiful to give it a miss.
Not to mention digging some "furniture" in the snow is great fun.
The winter once you get to where you're making new trail is
incrediblely serene, clean, and just gorgeous.
And since nearly no one goes... it's magical IMO.
The long hours in the tent... I bring a portable video player.
(I use the Archos 604)
Can watch anything out on DVD or just about any TV show.
I bring it year round. A few shows and it's after 10pm and the
night isn't so long.

Of course you need to be prepared...

This was mid Nov. '08:
(I did this loop in 3 days in a great weather window)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Sorry Bill, but unless someone loans me a cabin with a fireplace and a few cords of wood, or maybe a few down comforters... snow is a day trip for me.

Too doggone cold.

I love snowshoeing tho. I'll go all day as long as I can drive back out of the snow, or go indoors.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 am

No worries Almost.

I hear ya. The right gear and it's all good.
Although I don't get out of my sleepy bag all night.... unlike what you
would have to when nature calls... which is what the wife complains
about the most...
(I actually carry a Pee bottle year round... hate getting out of bag once I'm in)
We went Dec. 20th last year.... now THAT was a long night...
very soon it will be light until 7.

Anyway, enjoy Coe.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking