Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2 more questions....

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2 more questions....

Postby ryan72 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:48 pm

I just thought of having to bring my stoves with me for our upcoming trip. There will be 3 of us flying in from Michigan to San Jose. Both airlines that are possibilities specifically state they will not allow camping stoves. We're bringing a MSR pocket rocket and Reactor. Can I ship these somewhere local that will hold them for us?

Anyone know of the closest REI to San Jose? We'll need to buy our fuel canisters and I'm guessing stores close to the park will have a heafty mark up.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Closest REI is here:
Mountain View REI Store
2450 Charleston Rd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650) 969-1938

Any Mountain is another possibility;
Any Mountain - San Jose
Westgate Mall
1600 Saratoga Ave.
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 871-1001

But the main store in Yosemite Valley also has these cannisters...although last October I only found a couple. Still, that's at the end of the season.

I'd also check with the airlines. They may not want the cannister, but I can't believe they'd refuse to let you check a pocket rocket...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryan72 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 pm

thanks!
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby tm » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:56 am

You may want to double check with the airlines. I think they may be confused by what you are asking. I have flown in from the Chicago area for the past 3 years and carried the exact stove you mention on Southwest, Delta and ATA. They just won't allow the fuel.
tm
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby orion » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 am

the concession for yosemite has a limit to their profit to compensate for being allowed a captive non-competitive market, so the prices there are actually reasonable, once you factor in shipping costs to get it there.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:06 am

There are outdoor stores in nearly every city along the way to the park. Driving from San Jose you will go through (if you take the 101/152/99 route to Merced or Fresno) Morgan Hill, Los Banos, Chowchilla, Merced - or south to Fresno through Madera. In Fresno there is an REI, Sport Authority and Herb Bauer. In Merced there is a sport store called McNamara's. I know the Fresno stores carry MSR and Snow Peak canisters. There is a Big 5 in Los Banos and in Fresno.

And if you don't care about brand, WalMart is everywhere. But I would care about brand. Snow Peak is what I usually get.

The closest REI in San Jose is on 400 El Paseo de Saratoga, San Jose, CA 95130.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am

also, the TSA will steal your stove. on a trip to kauai they took a brand new whisperlite out of my pack, which was less flammable than the piece of paper they left me. and make me think twice about protesting, it reminded me this was a felony and i was being let off nice, for now. i ended up terrorizing my tuna steaks with charcoal instead, so it all worked out.
Last edited by orion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 am

I was going to suggest just renting a stove from the REI in Fresno. I figured it would be unnecessary - maybe it's a good idea for simplicity's sake.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 2 more questions....

Postby TigerFan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:56 am

ryan72 wrote:Both airlines that are possibilities specifically state they will not allow camping stoves.

Did you call the airlines or did you find this as written policy somewhere? (Would you mind telling us which airlines?)

I guess the airlines policies can be more strict than TSA rules but according to the current TSA website, they do allow camping stoves:

Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

I've always packed mine and haven't had any problems. I do know that my checked bags were searched by TSA this past October (found little TSA stickers all over inside) but nothing was taken, including two Primus stoves. I was on a Spirit flight, if that matters, but I've also flown Northwest and Frontier with stoves.

That said, whenever I've heard of stoves being "confiscated", they're always Jetboils or something like that, i.e. one of the more expensive models. I carry your basic Primus $25 models and maybe they're not as "interesting."
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby orion » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am

happened to me in 2003, must have lightened up by now.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 pm

I don't know how you guys are going to Yosemite, but from San Jose, if you are going through Fresno, you are certaily taking the long way around!

I guess you could get to Wawona...but it's still way out of your way...not the quickest or easiest.

Merced makes more sense. I am not sure that Chowchille or Los Banos qualify as cities...more like towns. Neither one has an REI or an Any Mountain store...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm

I don't have any idea how they are getting there either... But I doubt it will be from the east side, so west and south are what I covered. And googlemaps wants to say that 120 is a wee bit shorter, and put the route through Fremont, Dublin, Tracy and Manteca, which opens another range of possibilities.

Los Banos is turning into one long strip mall. Yesterday we drove through and counted the big box stores... crazy. It's still not a city but it's also not so limited as it used to be.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryan72 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:14 pm

We are flying into San Jose becasue its about $100 cheaper for the flights and the rental car is cheaper too for some reason. We may drive a little longer to see the Mariposa Grove as we come into the park so the route through Fresno is an option. I've only used MSR and Snowpeak fuel and they are what I trust. I also don't want to rent a stove. I want to carry my stoves. I don't think they will rent a Reactor either.

Ive read the TSA site and they say they will allow camping stoves so long as they are clean and no fuel is with them. But Continental and US Air state on their sites that camping stoves are not permitted.

I think I will call the REI store in San Jose and see if they will let me mail them my stoves and hold them for me. I've spent more paychecks that I'd care to admit at REI so Im hoping they can help me out.

I don't want $200 worth of my stoves confiscated by the TSA and not have them for my trip. For the $20 to mail them back and forth its worth not losing mine and having to rebuy them, then lose them again, then have to rebuy them when I get home. It could be a $600 headache.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:13 pm

If you are headed by way of Fremont and hwy 120, the REI in Fremont is right on your route.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby ryan72 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 am

I should have thought of this earlier, but we'll probably just mail our stoves and poles a post office in San Jose as general delivery. We're going to mail our food for the last 2/3 of the trip for pick up in Tuolumne Meadows. This will allow us to go much lighter for the trip throught the GCT.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking