Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

5-6 day backpacking trip in ealry September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

5-6 day backpacking trip in ealry September

Postby lucid1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:08 pm

My hiking buddy and I meet up about twice a year to backpack in various places for a week or so at a time. After spending the last two years exploring the Grand Canyon, we are now looking forward to wonderful Yosemite. I have read many informative posts from this site and other sources and have narrowed down the possibilities for a 4 or 5 night trip leaving from TM but would like your input keeping in mind that a) we will be there in early September (right after Labor day), b) we wish to camp away from possible crowds whenever possible (ie, HSCamps although many will be closed after Set. 06th) and in spots with nice views, c) would like to have a ‘leave the tent here’ day or two where we can stay put and explore the area or peaks nearby, and d) we love lakes – who doesn’t :D

With this in mind, here are the options I have been considering (but do not know where to best fit in the ‘explore/rest’ day although Bernice Lake sounds real nice...

Day 1: Leave Cathedral Lakes trailhead near TM and hike a bit past the Sunrise High Sierra Camp area
Day 2: Hike to Merced Lake HSC via the trail that goes thru Echo Creek (or longer hike via JMT).
Day 3: Hike to Bernice Lake via the Lewis Creek trail (or longer loop to Bernice via Fletcher Creek trail)
Day 4: Explore area around Bernice Lake
Day 5: Bernice Lake to Emeric Lake via Vogelsang HSC
Day 6: Hike back to TM via the Rafferty Creek trail.

Alternative Day 5b: Bernice Lake to Ireland Lake
Alternative Day 6b: Ireland Lake to TM via Lyell Canyon

Or if done clockwise:
Day 1 : TM to Evelyne Lake via Lyell Canyon (or TM to Vogelsang via the Rafferty Creek trail)
Day 2: Evelyn Lake to Bernice Lake passing by Vogelsang (or directly from Vogelsand)
Day 3: Explore Bernice Lake area
Day 4: Bernice Lake to Merced Lake area
Day 5: Merced Lake to Sunrise Lakes area
Day 6: Exit to TM via the JMT

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Of course, I am open to other route suggestions. Thanks again!
lucid1

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 am

Go with option 1). I'd suggest skipping Emeric and Evelyn.
Go by Townsley and Fletcher and zig over to Ireland and drop down
into Lyell. If you have time you may want to explore further up the
Canyon and, time permitting, go check out the glacier.
While you're at Townsley you may want to run up to Hanging Basket.
I'd skip Rafferty Creek... once beyond Tuolumne Pass a bit
this is one of my least favorite trails in the park due to doo doo.

Things really quiet down after Labor day. It's a good time to go.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby lucid1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks bill-e-g not just for this response but also for so many others on the board which greatly help along the way... Townsley and the area around it looks very nice. I just learned that we have the option of having one supper/breakfast at Sunrise HSC and this is tempting as it lessens a bit the load to carry for the week... If we take it, then we would prefer to keep the ready made meal for the end. In this case our hike would resemble the following (I tried to inlcude some of your recommendations):

Day 1 : TM to Townsley (or Fletcher) via Lyell Canyon (not Rafferty)
Day 2: Stay at Townsley and day hike about, including to Hanging Basket
Day 3: Townsley to Bernice Lake passing by Vogelsang, set up tent and go explore without the backpack
Day 4: Bernice Lake to Merced Lake area
Day 5: Merced Lake to Sunrise Lakes area (and 'real' meal)
Day 6: Exit to TM via the JMT

Is there a clear reason why it would be preferable to do this loop counterclockwise instead of as above? I understand our 1st day (with full packs) is a long and uphill one but it is followed by a leisurely day 2. However, I have never actually been there and really want to maximize the use of our day of packless hiking about!

Thanks again!
lucid1

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Make sure you get reservations at Sunrise HSC early, they fill up fast. You need reservations for meals even if you don't have a reservation for one of the tent cabins...

The burgers are pretty good at the TM grill. But expensive.

Thought I would mention, since you are not from the area. Not counting the first day's food, you will need to get all your food/trash in the bear canisters you will be forced to carry. The Garcias they rent at the park are smaller volume than the larger Bear Vault model or the Bearikades you can rent by mail. If you are not careful in food choices and packaging this can be very difficult.... Just FYI.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby lucid1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for the info -- much appreciated. Once at TM, an expensive burger is probably better than no burger :wink: We are waiting confirmation for our meal at Sunrise. The bear canister issue (including food space, overall size and weight) is one that I have read about (thanks again for the previous and helpful posts on this elsewhere on the forum) and will look into rental or purchase options. Right now though my focus is settling on a route in time for the wilderness permit request (about 4 weeks) and then working on other trip and hike-related details from there. I know any week-long hike in the HS will be great, but of course wish to plan the route and camp spots as well as I can.
lucid1

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I thought your plan 1 above with the options was the best.
You may not want to go to Townsley if u go Lyell route.
I'd recommend you go to Ireland or Upper Cathedral on day 1 or
go up Rafferty to Townsley since your pack will be the heaviest.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter... just go and enjoy!
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby lucid1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Does anyone know if the bear boxes available at the HS campgrounds remain there once the actual camps close down in early September?
lucid1

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Since it would be very expensive to remove them, most likely, yes.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Yes--they are anchored to the ground in concrete. I've seen the TM HST bear boxes in winter and spring half-buried in snow.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking