Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

need help choosing route for hike!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

need help choosing route for hike!

Postby billys » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi there!

My girlfriend and I are wanting to do a backpacking trip in late May. I have been doing research on this site, but it seems the more research I do I just get information overload, so I figured it best to just ask!

We are both in shape and can handle a strenuous hike. I have hiked upper Yosemite Falls day hike a few times, but haven't really explored any other trails. I would like some direction on a good "fairly strenuous" route that can be done in 3 days with 2 nights on the trail, a loop would be great!

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D
billys

Postby Wickett » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I would do Tenaya Lake to Clouds rest and camp at Moraine Dome. Then Day hike up to Merced Lake and explore that area then back to Moraine Dome for the night. Then hike down the John Muir to the Valley.

This lets you see the high country and "Classic Yosemite" along the Merced river. I am sure that Almost There and Bill-e-g will have some great routes as well.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby billys » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks so much for the info Wickett! I'm looking forward to gathering as much info as possible!
billys

Postby Wickett » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 pm

No problem, I might do that route in late May myself. I am trying to convince the wife to go. The only problem is a babysitter, we don't have one let alone one that we could leave the kids with for a couple of days. It would be nice to have some family around here.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:46 pm

You may have some challenges fording Tenaya Creek that time of year, unless you go around the lake to get to Sunrise Creek Trail. It's my understanding that the creek can be running pretty hard.

The trek from Moraine dome to Merced Lake is one of my favorite places in Yosemite, especially that time of year when the Merced is raging.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 am

There may also be some snow on Cloud's Rest?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am

It's possible that Tioga Rd. is not even open yet. Chances are it
will have already opened. But ... in late May you have to expect/
be prepared for snow and very wet conditions from the TH's
in TM area. The trek up to Sunrise and over to CR will have
a lot of snow coverage.
The trails to LYV look like they are filling up quickly already at
that time. So it depends on which day u start as to how easy it
would be to get a permit for LYV or LYV passthru.

Anyway, you could think about these:
- Yose Falls->El Cap->Rockslides loop
(you went up YF dayhike... it's SO much more fun w/ a pack)
(rockslides is rock hopping with a bit of finding the "trail")
- Yose Falls->North Dome->Snow Creek
(you may hit some snow in Indian Ridge area)
- Snow Creek->North Dome->Yose Falls
- LYV passthru->Morrain Dome->Echo V->Merced Lake->Echo V->High Trail back to JMT/LYV

This is just stuff out of the Valley. There's a lot more...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking