Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

WARNING - CRAIGSLIST HALF DOME PERMITS SCAM

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

WARNING - CRAIGSLIST HALF DOME PERMITS SCAM

Postby sactown23 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

If you happen to be looking for half dome permits on craigslist be sure to be very careful.

There is an individual by the name of "David Tran" who also uses the alias "David Tanner" who is scamming people.

Not only is he selling permits for $50-$60, he is selling the same permits to many individuals.

So, if you purchase a said permit and get checked by the ranger and another individual who purchased from David Tran gets checked first, you will be FINED.
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Postby sactown23 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

he also goes by David T
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Postby chicagocwright » Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Why would you be fined?

Wouldn't the ranger just turn you away and not allow you to access the cables?

Is it illegal to buy scalped permits?
chicagocwright

Postby sactown23 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:20 pm

you would be fined if you're coming down the cables if the ranger wasn't there yet when you arrived.
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 08, 2011 7:23 pm

It's illegal to scalp permits.

It's illegal to climb the cables without a permit - you are without a permit if you buy bogus permits. In the case given, he's handing out the same permit to multiple people. You may as well go up the cables without a permit at all.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby chicagocwright » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Caveat Emptor.

I'm still not sure the person would get fined after reasonbly believing they had a valid permit.

Unless someone straightens me out on the idea that it is illegal to buy a permit.
chicagocwright

Postby campgirl333 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 am

From the NPS website FAQs:

What is the penalty for not having a permit?
If you attempt to hike beyond the subdome or up the cables without a valid permit, a ranger will turn you away at or near the subdome. Additionally, you could face misdemeanor charges—up to a $5,000 fine and/or six months in jail.
The ranger may not be stationed 24 hours per day, however, other rangers will be patrolling the corridor and rangers may be stationed at the subdome at any time. Regardless of whether a ranger is present, you must have a permit in possession in order to hike beyond the base of the subdome (including the Half Dome cables). The ranger checking the permits will be stationed in the area of the subdome and will not allow any person without a permit beyond the base of the subdome.
campgirl333

Postby sactown23 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

chicagocwright wrote:Caveat Emptor.

I'm still not sure the person would get fined after reasonbly believing they had a valid permit.

Unless someone straightens me out on the idea that it is illegal to buy a permit.

You can very well buy permits on craigslist or wherever for up to $60, but do it at your own discretion as you may be buying a fake/duplicate.

You'll be lucky if the ranger is stationed there and simply turns you away. But, if you made it up and are coming down, there is no reason why you wouldn't be fined.
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Re: WARNING - CRAIGSLIST HALF DOME PERMITS SCAM

Postby fluxfluxa » Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 pm

sactown23 wrote:If you happen to be looking for half dome permits on craigslist be sure to be very careful.

There is an individual by the name of "David Tran" who also uses the alias "David Tanner" who is scamming people.

Not only is he selling permits for $50-$60, he is selling the same permits to many individuals.

So, if you purchase a said permit and get checked by the ranger and another individual who purchased from David Tran gets checked first, you will be FINED.

Stop spreading lies. I bought some permits from him. He updated them to my name and transferred them into my recreation.gov account. I have full control over the permits in recreation.gov. I understand that you are angry about scalpers but spreading lies is immature. I had to work that morning and no way I could have purchased them myself.
fluxfluxa

Postby sactown23 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:27 pm

what's wrong David T.?

Are people not buying your permits that you are selling illegally?

Stop screwing people over by issuing the same permits to many individuals.
sactown23
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 pm

It is in fact illegal for permits to be sold or auctioned!

Directly from http://www.recreation.gov where the permits are purchased.

General Rules and Regulations for CABLES ON HALF DOME (YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK):

NOTE: This hiking permit is transferable, but cannot be resold or auctioned.
Resale of this permit is a violation of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, section 1.6. You are allowed to give this permit to anyone else, but each permit can only be used once.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby trscga » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 am

My understanding after taking with the both the people at recreation.gov and in the park is that the rule is only enforceable and valid inside the park and that there is nothing they can do to prevent the sale of permits outside the park. This stings that others can make a huge profit off of parks that our tax dollars support.
trscga
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Wickett » Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 am

It does leave a rather unpleasant taste. There are a group of us who are going after the campground scalpers on craigslist. All we can do is try and make sure the people on our forums are not blatantly trying to sell/buy the permits and campsites. Some guidelines will be posted shortly...

If anyone is approached by a scalper on this site, contact a Mod with the details!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking