Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Clark range

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Clark range

Postby honsing » Sun May 25, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm still curious about your take on a 5 day bp trip up the Illouette R. starting from Happy Isles. I would love to walk over the Red Peak Pass, walk down the Merced R. and out via Glacier Pt trail. We had to get permits leaving Happy Isles and return via Glacier Pt trail, but do we have to honor those if we choose to start and end at say, Mono Meadows or Glacier Point?
I have an 11 and 13 yo with me as well as my wife. Mono Meadows would assure a less strenous climb on day one and possibly prevent burnout by day 5, except the uphill from Little Yosemite Valley to Glacier Pt.
It will be early August. Will mosquitos be bad (I was here in mid July during an epic snow year of 86 and we were eaten alive at night)? Do you think snow will be a problem then? Cold temps? Thunder showers? :?:
honsing
Regular
Regular

Postby Grzldvt » Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 am

My favorite trip. Start from Glacier Point, you miss a huge climb if you go from Happy Isles, and with kids that is very important. Head up the Merced River Canyon, as much as I dislike Little Yosemite Valley, as it is overcrowded, it is the perfect first night.
Head the Merced River Canyon. Get as far up the canyon as you can get, and camp. Next day head up the canyon, and get to Red Devil Lake, sort of. There is a small lake just north of Red Devil, but before the climb to the pass, you can camp in that area with big views. Climb over Red Peak Pass, and head down the Illiloutte Canyon back to Glacier Point.
There is another option via the Beuna Vista Trail, but it include cross country, with kids, that one might be a bit tough.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby honsing » Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks for the input. Will there be a problem camping out at LYV if it is not on our Happy Isles-Illouete entry permit? Do we have to stick to our 4 Mile Trail exit?

Does the BV trip you describe involve cross country across the Buena Vista Crest?

Does anyone know what the fishing is like in Merced Pass Lake, Ottoway Lakes, Red Devil Lake, or Washburn Lake?

Appreciate any little bits of info.

Patrick
honsing
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking