Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome/Backpack

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome/Backpack

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:25 am

Author: Sarah (167.246.33.---)
Date: 08-01-05 13:51

I am interested in planning a 2 day trip to backpack in and to hike Half Dome.

Sat - Hike In - Stay overnight
Sun - Hike Half Dome - Hike Out

Any ideas on what trail we would take and whether or not this is possible?

Also if you were doing a regular 2 night backpack in Yosemite, where would you go?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Half Dome/Backpack
Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-01-05 14:10

My overnight trip a few years ago...The Backcountry: Half Dome

-Mike

Author: yosemitegirl (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-19-05 11:12

Backpacking is great... the site above is what I would have suggested also. The only thing I might do is go Sunday to Monday instead... Saturday and Sunday on Half Dome are way too packed with people... especially on the cables.

Author: Roy (---.nc.us.ibm.com)
Date: 08-24-05 09:50

I did a similar trip last year. Rather than start at Yosemite Valley, I would start at Glacier Point and take the Panorama Trail. The Panorama Trail lives up to its name, providing spectacular views as you descend into Illoutte Gorge and back up the other side. You end up at the top of Nevada Falls, the same as you would hiking up from the valley floor. On the return trip, you can take either Mist Trail or the John Muir Trail back to Yosemite Valley.

The great thing about camping is you can get an early start in the morning and are way ahead of the masses making a day hike ascent of Half Dome from Yosemite Valley.

If interested, some pictures from the trip can be found at http://community.webshots.com/album/215672132NQNTly/0.

Roy
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking