Colonel John C. Fremont, on stage, Bear Valley, 1858
Map showing mining and historical area.
Mariposa County, “Mother of Counties”, one of the original twenty-seven counties.
The tent town of Agua Fria, in 1849. The Exchange Hotel is on
the extreme left. The ground in front of the houses is all dug
up in piles for washing.
Water-power quartz mill, transported across the Isthmus, in 1850,
for Commodore Stockton. Located one mile from Mariposa on
Stockton Creek, named after him, as was also the City of Stockton.
Agua Fria, in 1854, just after the Court House was moved to
Criss-cross letter, 1858, so written to save postage. One sheet cost
$2, two sheets $3.
Chinese mining on Mariposa Creek, 1867,
Colonel Fremont, as he looked in 1856, when candidate for President.
Lafayette H. Bunnell, early-day miner and namer of Yosemite.
The old Mariposa Gazette Building.
John Gilmore, with his team, entering Mariposa, 1879.
Galen Clark, famous Guardian of Yosemite.
Galen Clark, in the Mariposa Grove of Big Trees, which he discovered.
The Fremont “White House”, in Bear Valley, 1858.
Marre Store, Mt. Bullion, built in 1862.
Mariposa in 1859.
The pioneer Schlageter Hotel. Trimming its famous flagpole in
A pen sketch by A. Schwartz, showing inside view of shaft on
Mariposa vein. A pocket of $26,000, in a space four feet square,
was struck here, July 14, 1859, at a depth of 35 feet, by Lind
brothers and Howell.
The Mariposa County Court House, completed in 1854. The clock
was added in 1866. Left to right are: Fred Schlageter, Under-sheriff; Bill Turner, Sheriff; Joe Ridgeway, Assessor; E. D. Skelton, Deputy Assessor; J. M. Corcoran, Superior Judge; Judge
L. F. Jones; S. P. O. Counts, Treasurer; G. W. Temple, Justice
of Peace; G. A. Robinson, Surveyor; Maurice Newman, Clerk;
James H. Lawrence, ex-Editor and ex-Senator; L. N. Jones,
District Attorney; H. P. Farnsworth, Constable.
“Rock” Greeley, with his logging team.
David Clark’s home and saw-mill.
Benton Mills, on Merced River, at Bagby, foot of Hell’s Hollow
Mt. Ophir mine and mill. The Moffat Mint was close by.
Captain John S. Diltz, outstanding pioneer miner.
Angevine Reynolds, pioneer newspaper man.
John Hite (left front), poor prospector who became a millionaire.
The others are men working for him.
Full-blood Yosemite Indians, descendants of Chief Ten-ie-ya. From
left to right are Mary Leonard, Maria Lebrado and Tom Lupton.
Mary tried to stop the picture until Tom had taken off his hat.
Coulterville in 1858. At the side of the residence of Jim Shimer,
are ladies in hoop skirts.
Coulterville in 1878.
Francisco Bruschi, Coulterville pioneer.
The original Jeffrey Hotel, Coulterville.
Street scene in old Hornitos.
Hornitos Hotel, ready to receive an ex-President.
Reeb’s butcher shop, at corner of Plaza, Hornitos.
“Judas” on the donkey, just before being led through the streets
of Hornitos and burned in the Plaza.
Mrs. Merck, who with her husband, ran the pioneer saloon, at
corner of Plaza.
Solari store, Indian Gulch, with the last pioneer resident, just
The first school house, Indian Gulch, built of adobe brick, 1854.
Joe R. Souza, and the first twelve-animal team to enter Yosemite.
Tom Bichard, pioneer miner and philosopher.
Re-union of old-timers at Hornitos. Front row, left to right, are:
R. Barcroft, Al Sylvester, Sam Collier, Joe Spagnoli, Nat Bailey,
Tom Thorn, Robert Arthur and Tom Williams. Rear row, left to
right, are: Henry Nelson, Smith Thomas, John Branson, William
Dennis, B. A. Shepherd, G. Gagliardo, J. D. Craighan and M. L.